What you'll need:
Color Paperclips (Local grocery or office supply store)
CMS Paperclip Shape Worksheet
Easy to throw in your shopping cart on your next trip to the grocery, below are several activities that allow your preschooler to practice multi-tier learning with colored paperclips.
CAUTION: Paperclips are a choking hazard. You should assess your child's readiness to use this medium of learning, and small children should be supervised.
Activity One: Counting and Shape Recognition
Using our shape worksheet, your or your child can cut out each shape. You can then guide them through:
- Color and shape recognition
- Counting the number of sides and fastening one paperclip per side to help cement the concept (Match the color of paperclip to the shape color)
- Turn the shapes over to hide the title in order to practice shape recognition
Activity Two: Sorting and Pattern Making
- Sort paperclips by color and count how many of each were in the container
- Create paperclip chains practicing counting and pattern making.
Practice letter and number forms be either having your child place paperclips over a handwritten letter/number, or (for those children who are already comfortable with letter and number forms) create the shapes independently.
What it teaches:
Fine Motor Skills: Grasping & In-hand Manipulation Skills
Early Math Skills